Tuesday, February 19, 2013



Woo! Two epic food discoveries in two days, your BFG is on Fi-yah!

I have been on the journey of the smoothie discovery for sometime now. Something healthy, tasty and filling to replace breakfast or lunch with. My first attempt was a huge failure. I mean gag a maggot failure. That's what I get for following a recipe made by a well meaning mom for her kids. I assume either she never tried it or used it as a punishment/torture device for her poor children. "Never mind timeout kids, if I have to tell you one more time, I am breaking out the blender!" Seriously, that bad.
Anywho, I have been on a mission with my own recipes since then. I felt like I was getting way too much fat and calories from the milk I was using and really defeating the whole purpose of what I was trying to accomplish with using a smoothie as a meal replacer. Until...(don ton ton) we were cruising the dairy aisle at the grocery this weekend I rediscovered vanilla almond milk! Why, oh why, didn't I think of this before!! I love that stuff!!
Yesterday I decided to make myself a smoothie for an on the go breakfast with my vanilla almond milk...It was FAB!! A cup of the vanilla almond milk (which only has 90 cal) a few strawberries, a palm full of blueberries on a surprise trip through the blender was the ticket. It was sweet and fruity and milky and just good! I am out of Greek yogurt to mix in, but I know it will be positively grand with that little bit of added thickness. Oh payday, come on so I can get to the grocery!

Which brings me to my second food discovery, which I will admit is not nearly as exciting as the smoothie, but I figured I would let you down easy from all that elation. I had to ditch the rest of my lovely organic baby spinach this weekend. Which left me with no salad greens to go with the beckoning grilled chicken breast we had leftover from this weekend. What's a girl to do without salad greens and its still a few days until payday??!! She cuts that chicken up, throws in some feta thats been hanging out in the fridge, tosses some of her own amazing spin on Italian dressing and she owns that mofo for lunch. Yes, it was delish even without the greens. Ahh, the feeling of victory. What can I say? I am easily entertained and food is an excellent playwright.

No comments:

Post a Comment